Family law is a division of law that usually deals with divorce, child support, and child custody.

If I am getting a divorce do I actually need an attorney?

Usually you will want to consult with a lawyer about any major changes such as a divorce. A lawyer can help you protect your rights as well as the rights of any potential children. They can also assist with any other support needed concerning assets in the divorce.

Are assets split 50/50 in a family law case?

Usually assets are not split evenly, but a lawyer can try to keep the split as fair and even as possible. The two parties in a divorce can usually decide how they would like to split the assets, with the divorce lawyer assisting in answering any questions. If the split cannot be settled, then the courts will help make a decision for the parties.

Who gets custody of the children?

The courts will help the two parties decide custody based on the best interest of the child. The courts do not give preference to one parent over another, once again giving preference to what will be best for the child.

Do grandparents have visitation rights?

Grandparents have the right to ask for a visitation order. Visitation is not granted automatically. A family lawyer can help you figure out specific visitation rights.

How can I schedule an appointment with East Tennessee Employment Law?

The staff at East Tennessee Employment Law would be happy to assist you today. We are located at 10263 Kingston Pike in Knoxville, Tennessee and experienced in family law cases. Feel free to stop by at see us, or call (865) 383-1054 to schedule an appointment with us today. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon!